To: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org
From: budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 06:07:49 +0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique "Handles"?

On 30 Jan 01, at 15:42, Bill Manning wrote:

> 	Er... not really. I've had email addresses that
> 	have been revolked and reassigned to new people.
> 	Email addresses are not the persistant indentifer
> 	you are looking for.

That's ok, Bill. All you have to do is change/modify/
update your (nic) handle / identifier.
(Just like updating a host/NS record in the database.)
Note: how long does it have to be presistant?

If you are acting as a role, eg. using hostmaster@some.domain
then you want to delegate the role to the new hostmaster,
don't you?

Our original concern was to have a unique identifier
that spans to many databases (so that we avoid clashes), no?
The possibility to have identifiers clash can be reduced.

So my unique handle maybe
"budi.alliance.globalnetlink.com.budi.rahardjo.indonesia"
(email adress is *part of* unique handle)
My beef...: it's too long! But then again, it might
be easier to memorize than BR#72X%$@! ;-)
Maybe we don't have to memorize it either.

Or... we can go with a digital certificate.
(That may be too complicate since some countries may
restrict access to certain cryptography algorithms.)

Or ... find something else.

-- budi
--
Homepage: <http://budi.insan.co.id>
my presentation materials, papers, scrapbook, ... and more

Home | Date list | Subject list