To: <budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Brian W. Spolarich" <briansp@walid.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:26:01 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Merging RRP and Whois

| That's ok. Email address is unique and has nothing to do
| with domain registration and such. Most people keep their
| email addresses as their identities.

  As someone has already pointed out, e-mail addresses do not
necessarily have the property of always binding to the same human
(although no identifier really does).

  Dumb question:  Instead of inventing new identifiers or bending
existing ones in perhaps ungraceful ways, why not use a URL as the
identifier?  If the protocol specified LDAP as the transport protocol
then LDAP DNs would serve nicely.

  Maybe I'm misinterpreting this thread (I've only started following
this proto-WG and haven't yet digested the mail archives completely),
but it seems like there's a tendency in the IETF to invent Yet
Another Protocol, which at this point seems unnecessary.

  If a URN resolution mechanism were to be deployed (i.e. NAPTR),
then this seems like a good place to use URNs as well.  Apparently
Michael Mealling thinks so too, according to RFC3043. :-)

Home | Date list | Subject list