To: "'Shane Kerr'" <shane@ripe.net>, "Lu, Ping" <plu@cw.net>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org
From: "Lu, Ping" <plu@cw.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:25:31 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Sorry -- Re: Merging RRP and Whois

I totally agree that the external (outside the local registry) reference is
a difficult
problem to solve.

But nontheless there is a need to use them. Because the alternative ( let
each ISPs to maintain a different set of objects for each IR ) is a manual
process and is more prone to
error.

Just like the driver license. People only register in one state then all
other states can
reference the information even there is a risk this license may be revoked
if you don't
check frequently enough.

Ping Lu
Cable & Wireless USA