To: Christopher Ambler <cambler-ietf@iodesign.com>
cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org
From: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:01:56 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Christopher Ambler wrote:

> > Now, having lambasted the idea of lumping whois into provreg, I've a goofy
> > idea.  Can PROVREG recommend a scalable solution to the consideration of
> > NIC-HANDLES? To my knowledge, this has never been addressed properly, at
> > least since the days when the IR was split. When we did the RA project, the
> > thought was to tag the NIC-HANDLE with the registrars "stamp", e.g.
>
> I'm sure this has come up in the past, but why not email addresses?
> They're unique, and identify the source. Master information on the
> handle is kept by whatever registry handles the TLD in question.

I can see that sending to both ietf-provreg and ietf-whois is going to
cause some problems.  :(

NIC handles are used by people who have nothing to do with domains.

I'd prefer something that ties the NIC-HDL with the database storing
information, which will not be the database storing the domain on the
e-mail address of the contact, except in domain databases.  Otherwise
either I must form some sort of relationship with a domain database
operator, or I just can't use them.

Shane
~~

Home | Date list | Subject list