To: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, <ietf-whois@imc.org>
From: "Christopher Ambler" <cambler-ietf@iodesign.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:27:25 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

> Now, having lambasted the idea of lumping whois into provreg, I've a goofy
> idea.  Can PROVREG recommend a scalable solution to the consideration of
> NIC-HANDLES? To my knowledge, this has never been addressed properly, at
> least since the days when the IR was split. When we did the RA project, the
> thought was to tag the NIC-HANDLE with the registrars "stamp", e.g.

I'm sure this has come up in the past, but why not email addresses? They're
unique, and identify the source. Master information on the handle is kept
by whatever registry handles the TLD in question.

That is, foo@bar.com information is handled by NSI. foo@bar.newtld
is handled by the registry that runs "newtld."

Transfer of handle information can be part of the RRP. Any registry,
after authenticating, can accept changes to the handle info and pass
it (along with the authentication information) to the registry that holds
the records for that contact. This allows for email address changes,
as they do change.

It also allows for up-to-date contact information for each handle
(subject, of course, to whatever privacy protection is in place),
for messages of a technical nature (with a specifically wary eye
towards adequate protection from spam harvesting).

--
Christopher Ambler
CTO, Image Online Design, Inc.

Home | Date list | Subject list