To: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org
From: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:56:36 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

I have envisioned the following rough sequence of events/solution as
minimizing the required effort (by the ProvReg group and others) while
maximizing the achieved benefits.  I want to make this explicit, in
case some of the discussion here resulted because of confusion.

  1. The ProvReg group designs a protocol.  This protocol allows/assumes:
      * A centralized object repository (registry) is assumed.
      * The protocol allows registries with different properties to
        be implemented.  The different registries do not have to talk
        to each other.
      * The protocol supports authentication, and grants levels of
        privilege based on the submitted credentials.  Possibilities
        for access by registrars, registrants, unrelated third parties, etc.
        are all allowed (by the mechanism) and configurable.  The policy for
        who is finally allowed access would be set elsewhere, and would likely
        vary from registry to registry.
      * Thought is given to future extensions -- but just enough not to cripple
        the protocol.  This group does not spend much time on this issue, nor
        does it work on the extensions themselves.

  2. The work of the ProvReg group becomes a standard.

  3. The Whois group extends this protocol to handle Whois queries.  The old
     Whois protocol remains, but future development proceeds with the new protocol.
     This work can start even before Step 2, above.

  4. The Whois extensions become standard.

  5. The protocol is extended to objects other than domain names.  This work could
     possibly start before Step 4, above.

The key concept here (others have proposed similar things as well) is
that the ProvReg protocol becomes the standard method that the world
uses to communicate with a registry.  Thus, we get fewer things that
need to be designed, fewer things that need to be implemented, and --
most importantly -- fewer (diverging) things that need to be
maintained.

George.

--
George Belotsky