To: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
cc: "Paul George" <pgeorge@saraf.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Marcel Schneider <schneider@switch.ch>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:05:10 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Charter last call summary

On Wednesday, 10 Jan 2001, Edward Lewis writes:
> At 4:04 AM -0500 1/10/01, Marcel Schneider wrote:
>>As Peter said: this is common ICANN/gTLD usage. We are well
>>aware of it :).

> Others have used the terminology too.  (It is certainly what I am familiar
> with, and I haven't been woking with ICANN.)  I would think that any
> entity/agent that is entering data into a registry could be said to be
> acting as a registrar, even if the entity isn't otherwise known as one.

A registrar is tied to a) a dumb registry system and
b) a thin registry data base. The registrar is performing policy
checking.

Unfortunately all of this does not apply to how most ccTLD's
operate now. So imagine a registrar applying for domain
names in both gTLD and ccTLD registries. If we apply the
same nomenclature the registrar will be sure everything is
identical.

> Recall too that this protocol is designed for the case that the (entity
> acting like a) registry and the (entity acting like a) registrar are
> separated by a network.

I am aware of this. I see no reason why it should be used for
a single 'monotlithic' registry-registrar organization.

>  If there is no separation, this protocol may not
> apply to the situation.

Sure.

>  There will be no mandate from the IETF that this
> protocol be used in registration.  Such a mandate may come from a registrar
> accrediting organization, but the IETF process can't be contingent on that.

The registry-registrar protocol we are designing now will IMO
become a de facto standard. We (SWITCH) have an XML interface
which is designed for that purpose but I'm personally already
convinced that we will have to resort to the new rrp asap.
http://www.nic.ch/batch/ for those interested.

>>Sorry for not answering quicker but we had a night in between
>>in Switzerland :).

> I suspected as much, but I feel we need to get the IETF process moving along.

Right. Please move on.
> Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
> Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

> Dilbert is an optimist.

> Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Marcel

Home | Date list | Subject list