To: "Paul George" <pgeorge@saraf.com>, "Ietf-Provreg" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Peter Mott" <peter@2day.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:17:22 +1300
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Charter last call summary

> Registrant : "Entity" that wants to register a domain.
> Registrar  : "Entity" that requests (to a registry)
>               the registration of a domain for a registrant.
> Registry   : "Entity" that accepts and holds registrations
>              for a registrar.

The above role definitions are certainly the ICANN/gTLD view.

As we move to an Internet guided more by legal contract than technical
specification, I think you will see some modification to this view.  I see
the act of registration being the execution of a legal binding contract
between registrar and registrant.  Part of that contract requires the
registrar to insert a record into the register (administered by the registry
operator) for publication onto the public Internet.

The scenario above clearly places the registry in the business of providing
registrars with a public database.  From a contract perspective, quite
different to having registrars asking a registry to register a name.

Regards

Peter Mott
Chief Enthusiast
2day.com