To: budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 00:42:06 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Definition of Registry

budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com wrote:

> On 5 Jan 01, at 14:06, Peter Mott wrote:
>
> > Perhaps I was not so clear.  I am talking about the entity with power to
> > change the data in the registry, not the entity that claims an intellectual
> > property right to the data.
>
> Peter,
> I still think that the user/registrant/registered entity
> is the one that has the power to change the data in
> the registry. (Through some kind of certificate.)
>
> However, she can delegate the right to a registrar.
> ie. a registrar can change the data, on behalf of her.
> It is easy to transfer authority/delegation from one
> registrar to another registrar if she wishes.
> Just revoke the certifiate and issue an new one.
>
> Maybe something like this?
>
>           Registry
>      +--------+-----------+ ...
>      |        |           |
>    User/    registrar  registrar
> Registrant    |           |
>            +--+---+
>            |      |
>          User/
>        Registrant

Budi,

to our experience, registrars often have resellers, and, in some cases, they
also have resellers. So, to use your diagram, it could look like

           Registry

      +--------+-----------+ ...
      |        |           |
    User/    registrar  registrar
 Registrant    |           |
            +--+---+     reseller
            |      |       |
          User/       +----+---+
        Registrant    |        |
                    User/     reseller
                  Registrant   |
                               .
                               .
                             User/
                           Registrant

So the question is whether one should introduce a generalized concept of a
"chain of delegation", similar to the chain of authorities in digital
certificates.

regards,

Klaus Malorny

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
     Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
     Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list