To: "Annie Renard" <Annie.Renard@nic.fr>, <budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Peter Mott" <peter@2day.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:15:10 +1300
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Definition of Registry

> it's the practice for the .fr registry
> update of the database are requested by the registrant, through
> the registrar.

We have different views of the world.  Through my eyes I see domain name
registration  being the execution of a legal contract between the registrar
and the registrant.  The public record of that contract is the insertion of
the name into the registry database.

To determine the registrar, I simply ask the question "with whom does the
registrant have a contract for the domain name registration?"  Whoever that
entity is - is always the registrar.

Not sure how .fr works, but I suspect the contract is in fact between the
registrant and your organisation.  The party you refer to as registrar is
probably acting as an agent for the registrant.  Your organisation is in
fact the registrar.

This may all seem to be splitting hairs, but its important stuff in my view.
Understanding relationships and roles is required before developing system
to support it, and protocol to enable system

> registrar is a provider of added value (services) for the user
> connectivity.

My definition of registrar is simply an entity accredited to enter into
domain name registration contracts with registrants.  This entity may have
domain name registration as a core or supporting business activity.  It is
not relevant.

> In France, registry is a monopoly model (public service, not
> registrar itself),
> registrars are in the competitive sector.

I think you will see from above that I dont agree with you.  What you likely
have is a monopoly registrar (your organisation) with agents all offering
the same registration contract (your TLD policy combined with business
rules).

Such a model does not support competition in the business of domain name
registration.  Although I concede that agents can wrap your service in
different ways to differentiate themselves.  I suspect however the major
differentiation occurs between core service elements for the agent rather
than the service of name registration.

Please dont think I am a supporter of any particular model or have fixed
views.  I have been studying this stuff in depth since 1996, own an
accredited ICANN registrar (although not operational as yet) and admin for
.tk .aq as well as registry operator for .pn

What I have been trying to highlight is that it is the identification of the
players and their relationships that is important, not so much where the
data is.  If this wg proceeds with the relationship model in the draft,
thats ok with me.  I just wanted to make sure people had the opportunity of
considering alternatives.

Regards

Peter Mott
Chief Enthusiast