To: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Alf Hansen" <Alf.Hansen@uninett.no>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:04:20 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Defenition of Registry

Hi all,

I just joined the list, and I saw from

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-grrp-reqs-05.txt :

  "Registry: An entity that provides back-end domain name registration
  services to registrars, managing a central repository of information
  for a given TLD.  A registry is typically responsible for publication
  and distribution of TLD zone files used by the Domain Name System."

Perhaps this is obvious, but I think it should be added somewhere that the
Registry is also /responsible/ for the content in the repository. This means
that the protocol we will be developing must allow the Registry to manage
and be responsible for the content, even if a large number of Registrars
simultainously are allowed to access and update the database.

It is a challange, but it is possible.

Best regards,
Alf H
.NO