To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Marcel Schneider <schneider@switch.ch>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:10:35 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Draft provreg charter (v01)

On Tuesday, 2 Jan 2001, Dave Crocker writes:

> Provisioning Registry Protocol (ProvReg)
> DESCRIPTION OF WORKING GROUP:

> Administration of Domain Name Service (DNS) registration increasingly
> distinguishes between the operation of a "back-end" registry data base
> service for registrations, versus "front-end" sales and support services by

> registrars who interact with registrants and with the registry.

Would suggest to omit the word sale -
* a name could then be seen as a property (some doubt it is)
* some registries do not charge
* some registries charge maintenance fees
* we should not imply that registrars need to sell names
- and replace it by something like 'customer suport services'.

>  Especially
> for various Top-Level Domains, the desire is to permit multiple registrars
> to share access to the database.  This working group will develop a
> specification of the requirements and limitations  for a protocol that
> enables a registrar to access multiple  registries and will develop a
> protocol that satisfies those requirements. The protocol will permit
> interaction between a registrar's own application and the data base service

> running a domain name service registry repository.

'the data base service running a domain name service registry repository'
??? Could someone tell a simple mind like me what that means ;-)?

The expressions thin and thick sould probably be explained
if they will stay. Thick: 'full data base services provided
by registry' or something similar.

Marcel

Home | Date list | Subject list