To: "J. William Semich" <bsemich@worldnames.net>, "'provreg List'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Richard Shockey <rich.shockey@neustar.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:51:41 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Scope [was Re: Expiration times]

> >This is a valid point.  At the same time, I think it's important to avoid
> >too much scope creep here too.
><snip>

Please

>Verisign has launched a testbed registry for ENUM type identifiers
>(www.enumworld.com). Scott, would the above proposed provision for a
>"broader range of identifiers" be one way to accommodate ENUM registry
>activity, or would 7.5-[1] be adequate?

Speaking as IETF ENUM Chair I think it would be a bad idea for PROVREG to
look at this ENUM provisioning ..at this time. What is important for this
protocol is extensibility.

We do need to stay focused on the task at hand with is domain name
registration and the needs of customers and some of us new registries to be
ready in a timely manner.

If we keep extensibility in mind then I think we will have no problems
..ENUM registrations would be only a "profile" of provreg.

That would indicate that we want to add "application tags" to the XML
schemas to indicate what application is involved ..obviously IP phone
number registrations will require an entirely different set data based on a
entirely different set of business rules

>Bill Semich
>
>.NU Domain

Richard Shockey, Senior Technical Industry Liaison
NeuStar Inc.
1120 Vermont Avenue N.W., Suite 550, Washington DC. 20005
Voice: 202.533.2811,  Cell : 314.503.0640,  Fax: 815.333.1237
<mailto: rshockey@ix.netcom.com> or
<mailto: rich.shockey@neustar.com>
<http://www.neustar.com>

Home | Date list | Subject list