To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'Karl Auerbach'" <karl@CaveBear.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Richard Shockey <rshockey@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:36:27 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Comments on overall direction

At 09:23 AM 12/27/2000 -0500, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>While I know of at least one company that would be thrilled to see
>requirements for millions of domain name owners to become PKI-capable (or
>even just the subset who wish to request transfers),

I bet :-)

>  I have to echo the
>point raised by Dave concerning deployment and adoption.  I'm sure there are
>domain name holders who would understand and welcome such developments, but
>people aren't exactly falling over each other to install applications that
>provide cryptographic services.
>
>I don't disagree that transactional integrity is essential, but we may have
>different ideas on where that integrity service needs to be available or
>applied.  I believe that we have a far better chance to produce a widely
>accepted protocol if we do our best to keep the protocol itself extremely
>simple, and using a layered approach to add services that make sense in
>particular operational environments.
>
>Scott Hollenbeck
>VeriSign Global Registry Services

I just want to echo my agreement with Scott here.. I think he and Dave are
correct here.

Richard Shockey, Senior Technical Industry Liaison
NeuStar Inc.
1120 Vermont Avenue N.W., Suite 550, Washington DC. 20005
Voice: 202.533.2811,  Cell : 314.503.0640,  Fax: 815.333.1237
<mailto: rshockey@ix.netcom.com> or
<mailto: rich.shockey@neustar.com>
<http://www.neustar.com>

Home | Date list | Subject list