To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:05:59 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Expiration times [was Re: domreg BOF Meeting Minutes]

Rather than try to enumerate all of the possible object types that might be
registerable as suggested by Jordyn or generalizing 3.4-[1] as suggested by
Geva (which I think would then be inconsistent with other specific object
requirements in 3.4), I'd really prefer to add a requirement to section 7.5
if people believe that 7.5-[1] talks more to protocol extensibility than
object extensibility:

"[2] The requirements described in this document are not intended to limit
the set of objects that may be managed by a generic registry-registrar
protocol.  A generic protocol MUST include features that allow extension to
object types that are not described in this document."

I would prefer to see this kind of global statement in section 7.5 than in
section 3.4 because 3.4 describes object registration only.  If we add such
a statement to 3.4, I think we have to add similar statements to 3.5, 3.6,
3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10, and 3.11 to be consistent.  I'd like to keep 3.4-[1]
limited to domain names as in:

> [1] The protocol MUST provide services to register Internet domain
> names.

while creating a new 3.4-[2] that deals with the registration period.  WRT
to [2] as suggested below, I would really like to understand which
registries support the registration model as described.  I'm all for
architectural agility, but I would prefer to work with current real-world
requirements vs. trying to guess what might be done in the future to avoid
kruft introduction.

I fully agree that any other descriptions in the document that describe a
"how" should be generalized into a "what".  There's also something that
smells like a "how" in section 8.4; I'll fix that.  Identification of other
offending sections is welcome.

Scott Hollenbeck
VeriSign Global Registry Services