To: "'provreg List'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "J. William Semich" <bsemich@worldnames.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:21:50 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Scope [was Re: Expiration times]

At 10:06 AM 12/21/00 -0500, Jordyn A. Buchanan wrote:
>At 09:31 AM 12/21/2000 -0500, Geva Patz wrote:
>>On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 07:39:13AM -0500, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>> >
>> > Requirement 7.5-[1] already exists to ensure that the protocol allows for
>> > registration of objects not explicitly specified in the draft, so I think
>> > the second sentence is redundant.
>>
>>I'm not sure that I agree. 7.5-[1] states (sensibly) that "A:,
>>generic registry-registrar protocol SHOULD provide features
>>that at a minimum allow for the management of new object types
>>without requiring revisions to the protocol itself". There's a
>>subtle difference in sense between this, which basically suggests
>>that the protocol be extensible, and my proposed rewording of
>>3.4-[1], which suggests that the protocol should be designed from
>>the outset to accommodate a broader range of identifiers than
>>domain names (which the EPP proposal, for instance, does). I
>>won't re-hash the reasons why we changed the name from `domreg'
>>to `provreg', but I think it's important to capture those in the
>>requirements.
>
>This is a valid point.  At the same time, I think it's important to avoid
>too much scope creep here too.
<snip>

Verisign has launched a testbed registry for ENUM type identifiers
(www.enumworld.com). Scott, would the above proposed provision for a
"broader range of identifiers" be one way to accommodate ENUM registry
activity, or would 7.5-[1] be adequate?

Bill Semich

.NU Domain

Home | Date list | Subject list