To: "'provreg List'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Christopher Ambler" <cambler-ietf@iodesign.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:46:51 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: domreg BOF Meeting Minutes

Greetings, all. This point is well taken, in that our registry system does not
measure the registration length in years, but instead uses an "expiration
date." While that is currently set to n years past the current date, there's
no reason it has to be.

I can foresee a future in which a .movie domain, for example, might
sell 6-month registrations. Or an annual-event registry might sell
pro-rated registrations for "the rest of the year," all set to expire
on 31 December.

--
Christopher Ambler
CTO, Image Online Design, Inc.

> >  The registration period for domain names MUST be measured in
> >  years, with a minimum period of one year and a maximum period
> >  defined by registry policy.
>
> Although this captures the current situation in most gTLDs (and
> many ccTLDs) accurately, there's absolutely no reason to make
> the minimum period of a year a high-level requirement. In fact,
> there's a good reason not to: a protocol designed literally
> to this requirement might include a validity counter with a
> resolution in years, making it impossible for registries to
> implement a policy with finer resolution.

Home | Date list | Subject list