To: "'provreg List'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Geva Patz <geva@bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:15:31 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: domreg BOF Meeting Minutes

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 10:06:48AM -0500, J. William Semich wrote:
> Many (the majority?) of the ccTLDs require a minimum two-year initial
> registration period.

Precisely my point. Minimum and maximum initial periods and renewal
periods are all policy issues, not protocol issues. The protocol should
allow policy to be expressed, but shouldn't dictate policy through
design limitations. We shouldn't even mandate that registrations need
expire: although the contrary is true only in a small minority of cases,
we should nonetheless cater for these cases, particularly if we envisage
the protocol potentially being used to register other classes of objects
(AS registrations, for instance, don't expire). The protocol should
allow an expiry date to be specified, but shouldn't require it, and
certainly shouldn't constrain it to one-year resolution.

-- Geva

Home | Date list | Subject list