To: Miek Gieben <miekg@nlnetlabs.nl>
cc: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>, dnssec@cafax.se
From: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 09:12:50 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: ttl problems in DNSSEC

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Miek Gieben wrote:

> [On 03 Jul, 2001, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote in " Re: ttl problems in DNSSEC "]

> > >then you propose that if data is BAD an extra query for the key most be
> > >done? I'm afraid this will yield too many extra queries...
> >
> > Not a problem this will only happen once in a long while, thus when this
> > happens extra query is fine.
> so you are saying if there is bad data it is okay to requery for stuff
> you need? (Another key for instance)

Yes if you discover another key is needed then you need to get it.

> I think it is pretty easy for an attacker to fake bad data and thus
> generate a huge amount of extra queries. Those queries must alwyas be
> validated (as bad data isn't cached) thus generating an extra load on
> the nameserver.

I know, the simplest one is to toggle the key id's on the signatures.

> (is this the old DNSSEC doesn't protect you against DOS attacks? (but
> makes them very easy to do))

Exactly, that is why you should try to use TSIG/TKEY or TLS or IPSEC when
frequently talking to nameservers.

> > The real problem here is that K++1 was removed before data signed with it
> > expired from caches, this MUST only be done in emergency.
> > In most cases K++1 should remain in the keyset long enough for zone signed
> > by K++2 to propagate to slaves and then time out in caches.
> I agree, a statement along those lines will be put in the BCP,

Good look forward to seeing the BCP.

	Olafur

Home | Date list | Subject list