To: Roy Arends <Roy.Arends@nominum.com>
From: Miek Gieben <miekg@atoom.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 14:47:57 +0200
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-opt-in-00.txt

[On 04 Jul, 2001, Roy Arends wrote in " Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-opt-in-00.txt "]
> > which zones are going to use opt-in? .com and .net? Can't we just say
> > that we will never do DNSSEC on .com/.net and friends. If you want to
> > be secure get your secure domainname under .secure?

<SNIP>

> In general, using optin relieves large TLD's for signing each and every
> individual Resource Record and creating (null/real)keys + sig + nxt + sig
> over unsigned delegations.
>
> Going through the ICANN process and obtaining the .secure TLD seems very
> heavy. And next to that, the .secure TLD registry probably wants opt-in
> too.
why should a small TLD like .secure (going through ICANN is another
story) would use opt-in? They can use dnssec right as it stands now.
The .secure will grow in time but I don't think it will ever reach
the size of .com.

I know what opt-in is trying to do, but i'm wondering if it isn't
an overkill for zones that are already too large for normal DNS

grtz Miek
NLet Labs

Home | Date list | Subject list