To: "Dan Massey" <masseyd@isi.edu>, <dnssec@cafax.se>
From: "Scott Rose" <scottr@antd.nist.gov>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 08:42:47 -0400
Delivery-Date: Sat May 5 08:29:36 2001
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: keys at apex (key points)

<snip>

> I would like to suggest the following for the KEY record.  In the RFC 2535
> revision, we leave the KEY format unchanged.  However, only the DNSSEC
> protocol type will be explicitly defined.  For other protocol types, the
> revision will reference a second document that will discuss the proper use
> of application keys, the process for defining a new KEY protocol type, the
> risks to consider, and general directions for application designers who
> might choose to use this.   This app key document could present Jakob's
> labeling approach or present any of the other alternatives or perhaps
> Randy could convince the group that no other protocol type should be
> allowed.  I would like to contribute to this document's discussion of the
> risks and things to avoid.  (I think others are better suited to stating
> the correct solution).  The consideration of this document should reflect
> the bigger picture issues raised by Randy.

I think the "DNSSEC only" KEY description is the easiest way to go for now.
The problem of how best to store application keys in the DNS (if at all) is
a larger DNS issue, not strictly a DNSSEC issue.

Do we have people to volunteer to write up each proposal as a lightweight
draft for the WG?

Scott

Home | Date list | Subject list