To: Scott Rose <scottr@antd.nist.gov>
cc: Dan Massey <masseyd@isi.edu>, <dnssec@cafax.se>
From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 16:53:08 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: keys at apex (key points)

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Scott Rose wrote:

> I think the "DNSSEC only" KEY description is the easiest way to go for now.
> The problem of how best to store application keys in the DNS (if at all) is
> a larger DNS issue, not strictly a DNSSEC issue.

My opinion: no new APPKEY RR, KEY was intended for this and we should try
to make it work, and if we can't, we'd might rather use CERT.

> Do we have people to volunteer to write up each proposal as a lightweight
> draft for the WG?

This is my attempt to give a objective summary (but given the above you
can guess where my preferences are, or at least where they aren't):

Three approaches to storing application security keys in DNS

Introduction
------------

DNSSEC defines storage of application-level security keys in DNS (for
use in e.g. SSH or IPSec).  The current definition uses the same RR as
is used for securing DNS data itself, the KEY RR.  Used naively, this
could introduce a few problems, including:

 * Application KEY's at zone apex
 * Large KEY RRsets harming DNS(Sec) infrastructure

The reader is assumed to be familiar with these problems.

Idea #1
-------

Mandate that KEY RR's used for non-DNSSEC uses should use
application-specific owner names, such as "host._ssh.example.org".

Pro: Solve both problems.

Con: The success of this model depends on operational recomendations
rather than protocol specifications.  Might not be such a big deal.

Idea #2
-------

Mandate that the KEY RR is for internal DNSSEC uses only, and use the
CERT RR to store application security keys.

Pro: Solve both problems.

Pro: An "application RR" for application-level security keys, cleanly
separating it from DNSSEC keys.

Con: The Protocol field of the KEY RR is not used.

Con: Certificates != Keys, and CERT RR presumably wasn't intended for
storing raw keys.  However, CERT RR's support CRL's (!= Certificates)
today.  I don't see any technical problem of using the CERT RR for
both certificates and keys.

Idea #3
-------

Introduce a new APPKEY RR for application security keys only.

Pro: Solve both problems.

Con: The Protocol field of the KEY RR is not used.

Con: "Application security" seems like a candidate for storing
certificates as well (and some applications don't care about the
distinction between certificates and trusted key's), but that would
render the CERT RR useless.

Home | Date list | Subject list