To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>, Havard Eidnes <he@runit.no>, <dnssec@cafax.se>, <sra@hactrn.net>
From: Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:25:01 +0200 (CEST)
Delivery-Date: Thu Apr 26 21:53:59 2001
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Keys at apex problem - New PUBKEY RR?

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Randy Bush wrote:

> there is no benefit to using oracle if the encyclopoedia britanica is
> stored in the dns.

we should not store the encyclopoedia itself, but perhaps the key or cert
needed to access it securly.

> we put in two extensibility mechanisms in to handle all this stuff,
> srv and naptr.  if you want some applications data, then use these
> mechanisms to find them.  and, if those mechanisms don't do the job,
> then let's find out why and fix them, not add more and more half-assed
> mechanisms.

srv will not help us relocating key. naptr could be used to point out
where to find keys or certificates, but it would give us something like a
chicken and egg problem. we need the key and cert in dns to bootstrap
other protocols (that maybe uses naptr to find its data).

/Jakob

--
Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>                Network Analyst
Phone:  +46 31 701 42 13, +46 70 595 07 94   Carlstedt Research & Technology

Home | Date list | Subject list