To: Mark.Andrews@isc.org
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:55:38 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: well-known addresses / was DNS discovery

At 06:07 pm 11/12/2003, mark.andrews@isc.org wrote:

        wka adds yet one more set of addresses that need to be
        filtered at the organisation's boundaries.  Do you really
        trust the your neighbors dns servers to have the *same*
        view of the world as you?

        It is easy to accidently introduce single points of failure
        into anycast solutions even though you have topologically
        spread your nameservers.  It much harder to do this with
        a non-anycast solution.

        Wka doesn't remove the need to have another solution to
        supply the search list.

Perhaps, if we do decide to continue down the well-known-address approach in this and other cases, we should give some thought to the class e address space. Does wka usage rise to the level where this would be justified? It's been some time since class d space was allocated to multicast.

Using space out of existing unicast space is problematic for the reasons outlined above.

Home | Date list | Subject list