To: <Alain.Durand@Sun.COM>, <yasuhiro@nttv6.jp>
Cc: <jim@rfc1035.com>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: <teemu.savolainen@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:39:21 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: DNS discovery

Please correct me if I misunderstood your comment. The desire to spare one packet exchange was based on the fact that the host has to wait idle until packet exchange completes. Thus that idle time, when good transmission capability is not used at all, postpones start, and completion, of the actual communication the host wishes to do (presumed that the host needs DNS to start communication).

It is another issue if Mobile IPv6 people decide to decrease link throughputs by sending more RAs to those 200.000.000 million users (for good reasons I believe). The effect of their change may be bigger, or a lot bigger, than effect of one packet exchange, but still the packet exchage causes idle time that from my opinion should be avoided if possible.

I suppose in point-to-point links they do not need to increase RA frequency.

An answer to earlier question by Shirasaki Yasuhiro: IF an operator charges per byte and IF the operator includes RA size in byte count, increase in RA size increases cost for the user. I realized that I do not have enough knowledge in operator charging policies to really say if this is an issue, so I must step back a bit..

Regards,

          Teemu