To: teemu.savolainen@nokia.com
cc: iljitsch@muada.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Jim Reid <jim@rfc1035.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:44:29 +0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DNS discovery

>>>>> "teemu" ==   <teemu.savolainen@nokia.com> writes:

    teemu> I'd like to point out that any additional (round trip)
    teemu> delay in configuration phase, especially in wireless
    teemu> (cellular) environments, is _not_ user friendly. Please
    teemu> consider those 200.000.000+ million cellular users opening
    teemu> a network link for browsing etc. purposes who have to wait
    teemu> every time for yet another round trip .....

While I agree that minimising delays and RTTs is always desirable,
your argument is a bit of a non-sequitur. There's usually a delay of
10-15 seconds after a mobile phone is powered on or roams from its
home provider before it has finished the authentication dance and
joined some mobile operator's network. Given that context, an extra
RTT to find a DNS server is no big deal in the overall scheme of
things. In fact I suspect that the name server location overhead could
readily be assimilated into the "authenticate this handset" overhead.
Hey, perhaps getting a valid DNS server address could *be* that handset
authentication.