To: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com>
CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:31:26 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: the least-worst default

Eric A. Hall;

> OTOH, the well-known-address approach *can* work for everybody by default,
> at least if a couple of minor changes are made. In particular, it needs to
> use a multicast address rather than a unicast address

No, thanks. Any other minor changes?

> -- servers won't be
> able to listen on a unicast address that isn't configured in the OS, but
> they should be able to bind and listen to a standardized multicast address
> without any problems.

But, we are talking about configuration which may or may not be
OS level one.

> The important thing here is that this is the only approach that
> has the potential for 100% coverage,

Are you saying CORE/RP/SS of CBT/PIM-SM/SSM exist 100% of the time?

Or, are you suggesting DVMRP?

What happens, if you are using some multicast protocol and your
ISP, which is running your DNS recursive servers, are using
a different multicast protocol?

Note also that CORE/RP/SS are single points of failure that, for
robustness, you must use 3 multicast addresses and three CORE/RP/SS.

Though link local multicast is OK (though link local broadcast is
enough with the CATENET model of the Internet), it does not mean
inter-link multicast is OK, either.

							Masataka Ohta