To: itojun@itojun.org (Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino)
Cc: Alain.Durand@Sun.COM, dnsop@cafax.se
From: bill <bmanning@karoshi.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:50:03 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DNS discovery

> > > 	too bad we could not reach consensus on DNS dicovery.  i will do
> > > 	IPv6 tutorial at LACNIC next week, and again i will need to tell
> > > 	participants that there's no standard mechanism for DNS server
> > > 	configuration.
> > I'm not at IETF this week, but I'm following this from home.
> >
> > Your last statement is not 100% true. We already have DHCPv6 as an RFC.
> > The DHCPv6-lite is fundamentally a collection of hints to create a
> > simplified
> > implementation. So, there is already a standardized solution.
>
> 	by "no standard mechanism" i meant the lack of consensus in DNS server
> 	configuration mechanism.  yes, you are right, dhcpv6 is already an RFC.
>
> itojun

	other than the badness w/ wka, I fail to see the need to
	continue w/ this "tempest in a teapot".  Both RA and DHCP
	will provide an IP address to a node that seeks for help.
	presume that both are implemented...

	in the case of one, the node gets one(or more) IP addreses
	and a DNS server list.  in the case of both, the node gets
	one or more IP addresses and a DNS server list.

	Thanks to Richard, source address selection is well understood.
	just merge the DNS list and we are done... yes?

--bill