To: mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta)
Cc: Alain.Durand@Sun.COM (Alain Durand), itojun@iijlab.net, dnsop@cafax.se
From: bill <bmanning@karoshi.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:32:59 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: well-known addresses / was DNS discovery

> Standardize?
>
> Apparently, you haven't read the well known address proposal.
>
> 						Masataka Ohta

	to reiterate my concerns expressed at the mic yesterday,

	Ohta-san, would you be comfortable with 200,000,000 devices
	being shipped with the IP address 131.112.32.188 (the address
	of one of your organizations nameservers) being burned into
	eeprom?

	disclaimers about restricting, by IETF fiat, well known addresses
	to special IP ranges will -NOT- work in the real world.

	If you are willing to commit your enterprise to absorb 0.1%
	of the total packets generated by 200,000,000 devices, then
	perhaps I will be persuaded that use of well-known addresses
	is an operationally acceptable technique.

	Yes, I know we do it now and it reduces the level of effort
	in getting new features deployed, but in -EVERY- case, the
	use of well known addresses has caused problems.

--bill