To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: itojun@iijlab.net
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:49:55 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: DNS discovery

	too bad we could not reach consensus on DNS dicovery.  i will do
	IPv6 tutorial at LACNIC next week, and again i will need to tell
	participants that there's no standard mechanism for DNS server
	configuration.

	(assuming that we're to pick one mechanism)

	one thing that is misunderstood in the meeting was, nothing prevents
	people from running mechanism that wasn't picked.  for instance, even
	if dhcpv6-lite is picked, 802.11-based SIP cellphone and its network
	can still run RA-based mechanism.  the SIP cellphone may need to
	implement dhcpv6-lite client as well so that it visits normal 802.11
	network (such as starbucks), but nothing prevents you from implementing
	such SIP cellphone.  i guess mobile-ip people (who favors RA-based
	approach) objected because they felt that they will be forced to run
	dhcpv6-lite.  that is not true.

	given that, my proposal is to pick dhcpv6-lite as the default mechanism
	to be used.  with reading the previous paragraph, could those who
	favors RA-based approach hum for dhcpv6-lite?

itojun