To: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@nokia.com>
Cc: matthew.ford@bt.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 09:21:35 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: How IPv6 host gets DNS address

On Nov 5, 2003, at 5:31 PM, Bob Hinden wrote:

> Mat,
>
>> FWIW I agree with Ralph and Jinmei here. I have not seen any sensible
>> argument as to why DHCPv6 is not the solution here.
>
> I think the question might be better stated as why does DHCPv6 have to
> be the only solution to this problem.  It's clear that DHCPv6 is a
> solution.  The debate seems to be can there be other solutions as well
> (e.g., a Router Advertisement solution).  From what I see, there are a
> significant number of people who would like to see other solutions in
> addition to DHCPv6.

 From a network administrator point of view, having two solutions to do
the same thing is not a good think.
 From an implementor point of view, having two solutions to do the same
thing is not a good think.

Also, I haven't seen so far a clear, concise problem statement
explaining what the _current_ (DHCPv6-lite)
solution does not address.

	- Alain, strongly motivated by the desire to see unsolved problems
addressed instead of rehashing old ones.