To: bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl>
CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:23:37 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: preventing cache contamination

bert hubert;

>>Does the following work to prevent DNS cache contamination
>

> A proper algorithm prevents that. There is a slight chance of spoofing
> answers to a nameserver if you can guess its source port and query id.

That's what I'm trying to prevent.

> You need to trust your local segment indeed.

>>	2) have separate cache for glue

> This isn't necessary and a bad idea.

It is a just enough protection against well known attack to
contaminate cache by glue A, which I confirmed to work about
10 years ago.

That is, with

	hpcl.titech.ac.jp.	NS	foo.bar
	foo.bar.		A	131.112.32.132

a manager of hpcl.titech.ac.jp (that is, I) can tell anything
about A of foo.bar or whatever domain, cache of which should be
used only for glue A of hpcl.titech.ac.jp.

I know both PV and DJB didn't understand it and tried to use
insufficient or excessively complex approaches.

>>	3) cache an answer to a query but activate it only after a
>>	compatible answer is returned for latter query (to protect
>>	against ID space attack)

> I don't understand this one, but indeed, there are some things you need to
> do to prevent birthday attacks on the ID space.

I'm saying answer should be stored in cache for latter use, only
if the same answer is obtained multiple times with independent
IDs.

Then, attackers must guess all the IDs, which effectively enlengthen
the number of ID bits, though it reduces the effectiveness of cache.

						Masataka Ohta