To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:30:27 +0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: How IPv6 host gets DNS address

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:49:45AM -0500, Daniel Senie wrote:

> So either DHCPv6 is horribly more difficult for the unskilled end user to
> handle than DHCP in IPv4, or I'm missing something here. Today one can get
> a $50 box that does DHCP for IPv4 along with other functions. Such boxes
> are so simple to make function that millions of them have been sold.

If only someone would add "simple IPv6 functionality" for these and still
charge $50 - that would be one IPv6 barrier removed :)

> So for which group is DHCPv6 perceived as too difficult?

I agree that at this stage we suck DHCPv6 and see.  But I have a feeling
some environments, where only DNS resolver info is needed for operation,
may be better suited to an RA-like method, perhaps very large subnets where
multicast RA is much more efficient, or ad-hoc networks or other networks
that are currently in a minority but likely to grow.

> Adding additional methods increases complexity, as others noted. I agree
> with the sentiment below that any need for additional complexity should be
> the result of studying operational experience.

I don't see any issue with progressing DHCPv6 or DHCPv6 Lite.  But I wouldn't
like to see an alternative (complementary) solution ruled out at this stage
until we get that operational experience.

Tim