To: Soohong Daniel Park <soohong.park@samsung.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: John Schnizlein <jschnizl@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:13:40 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: How IPv6 host gets DNS address

Neither of these is a technical reason to prefer RA to DHCPv6.
Specific technical responses to the points raised:

At 10:20 PM 9/26/2003, Soohong Daniel Park wrote:
RE: draft vienna minutes (sorry about the delay)
>> The biggest technical difference I see between the DHCPv6
>> (and DHCPv6 lite) and RA approaches is that DHCPv6 is a two
>> packet exchange for each host vs. the RA approach where a RA
>> message can be multicast to all hosts on the link.

This apparent efficiency - one packet per link rather than 2 per host -
would come at the cost of the hosts waiting until the next scheduled
multicast RA. Where would the two-packet exchange be more detrimental
than a random delay until DNS is available?

>In addition, mobile node (especially WLAN) prefer RA option to DHCP
>from ISP experiences because of below reasons
>1) Delay of DHCP request/reply Relay
>2) Risk of centralized DHCP server (fault, failure and etc.)

In the circumstance in which RA would suffice, there is no need for
a "centralized DHCP server" or the relay agent to get traffic to it.
The same router that provides RA could answer a DHCPv6 information
request with the options relevant to DNS.

John