To: Miek Gieben <miekg@atoom.net>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:50:02 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft-kolkman-dnssec-operational-practices-00.txt

    >> But, in any case, if you believe that the key can be brute forced
    >> during any low multiple of the "key publication period", then the
    >> period is probably too short, or the keys too small.
                              ^long

  Sorry.

    Miek> yes, but I'm not sure is something of this wording should be put
    Miek> in, although I like the idea of "garbage keys".

  If you are very paranoid.

    >> It would be good to explain this.

    Miek> Maybe adding something like this would help?:

    Miek> If the old key gets compromised the new key is already distributed
    Miek> in the DNS. A zone administrator is than able to quickly switch to
    Miek> the new key and remove the compromised key from the zone.

  Yes.

    >> The major advantage is that it costs only 1 DNSKEY record, vs
    >> O(size-of-zone) DNSSIG records.

    Miek> yes, true, took me a moment to parse this, but you mean that you
    Miek> don't need to have a double signed zone (which could be really
    Miek> big).

  Yes, that's the point.
  It means that nearly all large zones would want to pre-publish the next
key.

    >> I believe that we should have a BCP for this part.

    Miek> a seperate one? Or be just more verbose in this one?

    >> What does it mean to securely notify the parent -- this is a human
    >> protocol, not necessarily just a network one.

    Miek> I have no idea what is means, it probably means don't use the

  A seperate BCP on the human protocol for indicating a compromise of a key
via out-of-band protocol.

]      Out and about in Ottawa.    hmmm... beer.                |  firewalls  [
] panic("Just another Debian/notebook using, kernel hacking, security guy");  [