To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Date: 11 Aug 2003 20:28:58 -0000
Automatic-Legal-Notices: See http://cr.yp.to/mailcopyright.html.
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: comments on ipv6-transport-guidelines-00

Alain Durand writes:
> We could be pedantic and say:
> "the server software has to be dual stack, configured to listen for IPv6
> traffic, on a dual stack host where IPv6 is turned on, an a network
> annoncing and routing Ipv6 packets to the big Internet...."
> I think that "dual stack" is a nice shortcut that everybody understand.

No.

Many computers are running ``dual stack'' operating systems, but very
few computers are ``routing IPv6 packets to the big Internet,'' This is
a huge difference. You can't simply gloss over it in a protocol spec.

See http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/ipv6mess.html for further discussion.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago