To: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:05:44 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: comments on ipv6-transport-guidelines-00

Pekka,

Thank you for your detailed review. I'll incorporate fixes in a new rev.
Comments inline.]

    - Alain.

>   In order to preserve name space continuity, the following administrative
>   policies are RECOMMENDED:
>      - every recursive DNS server SHOULD be either IPv4-only or dual
>      stack,
>      - every single DNS zone SHOULD be served by at least one IPv4
>      reachable DNS server.
>
>   This rules out IPv6-only DNS servers performing full recursion and
>   DNS zones served only by IPv6-only DNS servers.
>
>==> as was noted in my comment in a related subject in v6ops earlier (just
>rehashing here with a different audience), this is not entirely accurate,
>especially with all the interpretations of "recursive DNS server".  That
>is, it would be entirely OK to have an IPv6-only resolver point to a few
>IPv6-only DNS servers which would be configured to recurse from some other
>servers (ad infinitum) until a dual-stack recursive DNS resolver is found.
>
>Some might say that such a dummy DNS resolver is not really recursive but
>a forwarder but I might disagree..
>
>So, I think we need to both clarify the terminology and decide what
>exactly we want to recommend or allow.  (Note, if someone deploys
>IPv6-only networks with "first-hop DNS resolvers", being able to deploy
>IPv6-only recursive servers might be beneficial.)

The problem is that DNS terminology is not very well defined anywhere.
So, I suggest to add a sentence specifically talking about forwarders
to clarify the point.

>==> the other thing to clarify might be "dual stack".  Again, if one
>wanted to be entirely accurate, the question is about whether the DNS
>server software is programmed (and enabled) for the both IP versions while
>the node is dual-stack.  I'm not sure how important this clarification is.
>
>   In order to enforce the second point, the zone validation process
>   SHOULD ensure that there is at least one IPv4 address record
>   available for the name servers of any child delegations within the
>   zone.

We could be pedantic and say:
"the server software has to be dual stack, configured to listen for IPv6
traffic, on a dual stack host where IPv6 is turned on, an a network
annoncing and routing Ipv6 packets to the big Internet...."
I think that "dual stack" is a nice shortcut that everybody understand.

>==> what is this "zone validation process"?  where is it defined?  where
>is it done (dns regisrars, dns software etc.)?

This happens in several places, software are developped for this.
Before delegating a zone, numberof registrars insist on some
kind of a zone check. I'm not sure there is much value in
explaining this process in details.

>5. Security considerations
>
>   Being a critical piece of the Internet infrastructure, the DNS is a
>   potential value target and thus should be protected.  Great care
>   should be taken not to weaken the security of DNS while introducing
>   IPv6 operation.
>
>   The RECOMMENDED guidelines are compatible with the operation of
>   DNSsec and do not introduce any new security issues.
>
>==> add something like below after the first paragraph:
>
>   Keeping the DNS name space from fragmenting is a critical thing for the
>   availability and the operation of the Internet; this memo addresses
>   this issue by clear and simple operational guidelines.

Ok.

>semi-editorial
>--------------
>
>Abstract
>
>   This memo provides guidelines and best common practice to operate DNS
>   in a mixed world of IPv4 and IPv6 transport.
>
>==> the abstract should be longer, and include e.g. the summary of those
>guidelines (if possible).
>
>==> note: is the goal for this Informational or BCP?  If Info, reword to
>remove reference to BCP [sic].

BCP is the target for this document.

>   Today there are only a few DNS "zones" on the public Internet that
>   are  available over IPv6 transport, and they can mostly be regarded
>   as "experimental". However, as soon as there is a root name server
>   available over IPv6 transport it is reasonable to expect that it will
>   become more common to have zones served by IPv6 servers over time.
>
>==> The " as soon as there is a root name server available over IPv6
>transport" is unrelated and irrelevant in this context, for the whole
>purpose of this document, please remove!  (transport!=data; one could add
>IPv6 glue in root, gtld's or cctld's before those are available over IPv6)

Ok

>   The RECOMMENDED approach to maintain name space continuity is to use
>   administrative policies.
>
>==> the curious reader now (before looking down a bit) begins to wonder,
>"OK, _what_ administrative policies??".  Fix: s/policies./policies, as
>described in the next section./ :-)

ok