To: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 20:47:12 +0300 (EEST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: scope

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Rob Austein wrote:
[...]
> Discovery based on well-known addresses is a bit different because the
> packets (probably) stop at the edge of the default free zone, but the
> potential for bug amplification is similar.

Note that couldn't a similar argument be applied to 6to4 relays using the
anycast address?  That all the parties should provide some support for it?
Of course, the service is of a more fundamental type, but still..

We might be much better off if we recommended that such anycast addresses
should not be propagated at peering links (for example).  That way, the
fallback would be quicker (to using no DNS servers at all, most probably).
Instead of going around the world like 6to4, this could be an incentive
for the ISP's to deploy such a service.  However, the time it might take
to ensure global availability of such a service could also be rather long.