To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:36:56 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: scope

Messieurs Ohta and Vixie got me thinking about scoping and fault
isolation in the approaches we've been discussing.  No, this is not
about IPv6 site-local and I will thank y'all not to bring that up :).

Ohta-san is correct that every single one of the approaches we've
discussed has some kind of scoping constraint which, ultimately, is
decided by some human action or inaction.  Router configuration of
routes to well-known addresses, router configuration of RA, router
configuration of multicast, DHCP relay configuration, doesn't matter.
All of these mechanisms have some kind of scoping control with a
default that may need to be changed by a human.

One place where these approaches differ in interesting ways, however,
is in the default behavior.  This is particularly interesting when
trying to understand the failure modes of each of these approaches
if they're implemented or administered badly.

- RA/ND-based: if RA/ND isn't configured, discovery doesn't happen.

- Multicast-query based (DHCP, DHCP-lite, LLMNR-like, whatever): if
  router multicast (or DHCP relay) isn't configured, may work anyway
  on the local link, but otherwise discovery doesn't happen.

- Well-known address based: discovery propagates upstream following
  the default route until it finds something or hits the edge of the
  default free routing zone.  Discovery does not work if neither
  well-known address nor default route is configured.

Assuming that one buys this analysis, this says that the well-known
address approach is significantly different, in ways that are both
good and bad.  Good, because it means that dumb edge networks may just
inherit the necessary data from the larger networks to which they're
attached (although one might have security issues, eg, trust
boundaries for use of the AD bit).  Bad, because this has the
potential to turn into a bug amplifier.  Think, for example, about a
hypothetical firewall product that blocks inbound recursive responses:
this doesn't hurt the outside world so long as the well-known address
points to something inside the firewall, but what happens if the
well-known address route gets hosed?  Oops.

One hopes that no ISP would ever be silly enough to advertise or
accept routes for these well-known addresess in the default free zone.

Bottom line is that thinking about fault isolation gives me another
reason for discomfort with the well-known address approach.  YMMV.