To: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 04:55:49 +0859 ()
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: the well-known address approach

Ralph;

> I really did mean to talk about unicast as opposed to any kind of anycast,
> because the most recent published description of a scheme for using
> well-known addresses to access DNS service
> <draft-ietf-ipv6-dns-discovery-07.txt> specifies unicast.

See

	draft-ohta-preconfigured-dns-00.txt

> If I remember
> correctly, the earlier discussion about well-known addresses progressed from
> specifying anycast to unicast because of concerns that "just propagate host
> routes to those service addresses in the internal routing" might prove to be
> complicated in practice.

Routers just propagate routes with no configuration that there is no
complication.

> Another potential issue is that deployment of hosts using the well-known
> addresses will force network operators to support DNS service at those
> well-known addresses, even if some other service architecture would be
> better suited to that network's requirements.

As the DNS is the name service, it is an issue of those who want
to provide alternatives. See, for example, LLMNR draft of this WG.
Another approach could be to use DHCP to override the default.

						Masataka Ohta