To: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:11:01 +0859 ()
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Keeping the DNS discovery discussion focused and civil

Rob Austin;

> A few observations and requests regarding the recent discussion.
>
> 1) Regardless of what we might wish, we are starting from where we are
>    today,

that IPv6 is not deployed in the real world, partly because the
protocol suite is not complete pursuing unclear goals some of
which are impossible.

An attempt to obscure the incompleteness is to delegate some
of the work from IPv6 WG to other WGs, only to export the internal
chaos.

>    not from where we might have been had various decisions been
>    made differently at some point in the past.

Haven't we, IETF, changed a past decision to use OSI?

>    This is not the IPv6
>    WG, and we are not here to revise or debate stateless address
>    autoconfiguration, neighbor discovery, etc.

First, we should analyze the problem to its source, which is
what we are doing now.

Then, perhaps, we must define what "autoconfiguration" means,
even though we are not the IPv6 WG.

And then, we can solve some of the problem by ourselves and
recommend others to solve the rest.

> 2) Several of our participants are making a serious attempt to
>    communicate with each other past nontrivial language and cultural
>    barriers.

As we often say "read the draft", it is our culture to regard
draft reading the prerequisite to participate the discussion.

However, it is not even a cultural issue but a very basic
requirement by definition to regard reading mails, at
least recent ones of the thread, the prerequisite to
participate the mailing list discussion.

Still, I'm less demanding than you never expect people
have wide knowledge of archive content of other WGs.

							Masataka Ohta