To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 15:49:10 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Keeping the DNS discovery discussion focused and civil

<hat wg-co-chair=on personality-simulator-sensitivity-level=new-age>

A few observations and requests regarding the recent discussion.

1) Regardless of what we might wish, we are starting from where we are
   today, not from where we might have been had various decisions been
   made differently at some point in the past. This is not the IPv6
   WG, and we are not here to revise or debate stateless address
   autoconfiguration, neighbor discovery, etc.  The only exception to
   this that I can see is that we might reasonably conclude that the
   "O" bit in the Router Advertisement ICMPv6 message is not relevant
   to DNS discovery, in the sense that we might conclude that DNS
   discovery should be performed in the same way regardless of the
   setting of the "O" bit.

2) Several of our participants are making a serious attempt to
   communicate with each other past nontrivial language and cultural
   barriers.  Misunderstandings are very easy under such
   circumstances, and all of us (particularly those of us whose native
   language happens to be English) need to be careful both not to read
   too much into the phrasing and tone of others' messages and also to
   be sensitive to how tone and phrasing in our own postings might be
   read.  Limiting postings to subjects which are within the proper
   scope of the discussion should help, since it will at least limit
   the range of subjects on which we can have these misunderstandings.

</hat>