To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:14:17 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: avoiding proxies

on 7/30/2003 11:10 PM Masataka Ohta wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean "proxy".

I mean a third-party agent with knowledge of the application and/or the
environment. My examples were poorly formed but are valid in the general
sense, since we are still talking about relying upon extraneous agents
which have to be managed explicitly and separately from the application
end-points themselves. Certainly there are advantages to doing so
voluntarily (equitable benefit from the investment in resources), but
requiring this model really needs to be avoided.

> On the Internet, the mechanism to relay requests to servers over
> multiple links is called routing.

Exactly, let's let routing do the job it is supposed to be providing
already anyway, rather than layering on even more mandatory services.