To: Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:02:45 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: proposal for a compromise on DNS discovery

</ad>

> But will every device have a DHCPv6 (or DHCPv6 Lite) server on link?

i remember when this was asked of v4.  at the stockholm ietf, which
was not all that long ago, folk so disbelieved in it that i had to
run the dhcp server on my laptop and leave it on a rather beautiful
corner table all week.  within a year it was common, two it had
become ubiquitous.

as someone recently asked, do we really believe that a significant
number of nets will have a dns server but not a dhcp server?  the
$65 home dsl gateways have a dhcp server now, and many have some
sort of dns cache or relay.  my wristwatch probably has a dhcp
server, but i don't know how to access it.

randy