To: Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bob Hinden <hinden@iprg.nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:02:03 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Stepping back on the DNS discovery discussion

Tim,

>There was certainly a significant hum in this direction in the meeting.
>Both DNS Lite and RA discovery methods can exist; each has an application
>domain/scope.

I agree with this view.  I think we should proceed with the RA approach for
learning the address(es) of the recursive DNS servers and optionally a
search list.

I think the RA approach has advantages in environments where a DNS (-lite)
two packet exchanges would be a problem.  I suspect that in many cases the
addresses of the recursive DNS servers could be in the same RA message that
prefixes and other link information were contained.  This would be
significant reduction in traffic as it would avoid any extra packets.

Bob