To: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@Sun.COM>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Jaehoon Jeong <jaehoon_paul@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:36:38 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: proposal for a compromise on DNS discovery

Thanks for your good proposal.
As I said before, I believe, the RA-based and
DHCP-based DNS discoveries are complementaty each
other. One of them can not be the best. Just like IPv6
address autoconfiguration scenario, the RA-based and
DHCP-based DNS discoveries can be used very well
together. I think most of IPv6 hosts will have DHCPv6
client. Unless DNS information is piggybacked, IPv6
host just conforms to DHCPv6 procedure for DNS
discovery.
The approach of DHCP-lite announcing DNS information
overrides IPv6 RA advertisement. IMHO, it is enough
for one of RA and DHCP to announce IPv6 prefix and DNS
information.

In wireless networks, such as HMIPv6 and NEMO, MAP or
MR announce IPv6 prefix information periodically. If
piggybacking DNS information in RA, there is no need
of additional delay for finding out DNS information.
Your proposal complicates DHCP operation and usage, I
think.
DHCP is not almighty in all environments, and just one
of many solutions.
I am also one of non-english speakers.
Thanks, Alain.

/Jaehoon Paul