To: pekkas@netcore.fi
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: matthew.ford@bt.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:58:19 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: IPv6 DNS Autoconfiguration

> I want a spec which is simple and clear, and less than 15-20
> pages long.

That would certainly be nice, but I don't think we should base our decision
on the length of the specifications for the proposed solutions ;-)

Benefits of the RA approach I can see are:

 o no need to implement DHCP clients in all hosts
	- this could be important for very simple network devices
 o no need to solicit data explicitly
	- hosts will either hear an RA with the relevant data, or send an RS
and get the name server details as part of the RA response. I don't support
the idea of an 'active' mode whereby hosts can explictly request the DNS
data. If the router(s) is/are configured with the name server data and are
configured to advertise it then they will do so. Explicit requests only make
sense if we anticipate explicit requests for other types of data, and I
think this should be absolutely out-of-scope.

Mat.