To: jaehoon_paul@yahoo.com
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: matthew.ford@bt.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:58:25 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: IPv6 DNS Autoconfiguration

> At least, DNS discovery based on RA is easy and
> necessary in IPv6 wired and wireless networks
> connected to the Internet, I believe.
> Especially, in the environments where IPv6 address
> configuration is performed by IPv6 stateless address
> autoconf, such as HMIPv6 and NEMO, RA-based DNS
> Discovery is faster than DHCPv6-based DNS Discovery.
> IMHO, both DHCPv6-based approach and RA-based approach
> are necessary, depending on the situations, just like
> IPv6 address autoconfiguration.

Having both mechanisms could work: if we assume that routers configured to
advertise recursive name server data will always do so when they send an RA
(i.e. there is no explicit request mechanism other than standard RS) then if
a node doesn't get the recursive name server data when it receives an RA, it
can infer it needs to do DHCPv6(lite).

Mat.