To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Jaehoon Jeong <jaehoon_paul@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:43:25 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: IPv6 DNS Autoconfiguration

Hi, DNSOP members! :-)
Beforehand, I'd like to summarize my talk for today's
discussion about DNS Discovery and Autoconfiguration.

I'll present IPv6 DNS autoconfiguration today
afternoon.
IPv6 DNS autoconfiguration consists of two functions;
a) RA-based DNS Discovery and b) Host DNS Name
Auto-Registration.

Through RA DNS option, IPv6 host can find out DNS
information, such as Recursive DNS Servers' addresses
and DNS Zone Suffix.
It is very simple and necessary mechanism, I think.
With the announced DNS zone suffix, IPv6 host can
generate its host DNS name based on its preferred
user-ID. Also, it can register its DNS name and IPv6
address with the announced DNS server, through DNS
dynamic update.
The registration is performed by the IPv6 host, not
another Registrar.
In my scheme, any unidentified host can register its
DNS information in advertised DNS server. To minimize
the damage of DNS dynamic update, I define a new flag,
AR (Auto-Registration), in Header section of DNS
dynamic update message.
This bit indicates that any host can add its AAAA/PTR
resource records in DNS server and modifiy or delete
only its resource records, not others' resource
records. Therefore, a little extension to DNS Dynamic
Update is necessary.
You can find my presentation material in the following
links;

http://www.adhoc.6ants.net/~paul/data/ietf57-dnsop-ipv6-ra-dns-autoconf-00.pdf

http://www.adhoc.6ants.net/~paul/data/ietf57-dnsop-ipv6-ra-dns-autoconf-00.ppt

I would like to know if DNS autoconfiguration should
consider both DNS discovery and Host DNS name
auto-registration or not, namely separate documents.
In today's talks, I hope, some drafts about DNS
autoconfiguration will be accepted as working items.
Thanks.

/Jaehoon (Paul)