To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: David Conrad <david.conrad@nominum.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:33:26 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-dnsop-serverid-01.txt

Randy,

On Sunday, April 27, 2003, at 11:04  PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> you provide how to ask a server to tell some things about itself.
> but, in an anycast universe, when i have a result 'of interest' in
> my hand, i don't know to which server to send the query.  and, if i
> knew the server, i probably don't need to know, all i need to do is
> send
>
>   To: noc
>   Subject: broken server
>
>   the server with unique identity <foo> gave me the suspicious
>   result <bar> to query <baz>.
>
> unfortunately, i can not ascertain <foo>, and you provide no help.

Thank you.

If the server at a particular IP address returns <bar> to query <baz>,
you issue a CH class ID.SERVER query to that IP address from the same
client that received the suspicious result (making the assumption that
the routing system has not changed the server that will receive that
query).

If you do not have access to the client or there is a potential for the
routing system to have changed which server will receive the CH class
ID.SERVER query, you can either ask the NOC for the non-anycast IP
addresses associated with the server and try each in turn or let the
folks at the NOC do their job and figure it out themselves.

Does this address your concern or do I still not get it?

Rgds,
-drc